War Bastion

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

- WARGAMING -

WARBASTION'S LOCATION:

Leisure centre, rear entrance via line wall road. Door No. 4 & 5.

ALL MEMBERS PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY OVER TO::

www.warbastion.com:

And Register

+2
Vangeleon
Wiggy
6 posters

Old 40k player coming back

Wiggy
    Guardsman

Old 40k player coming back Empty Old 40k player coming back

Post by Wiggy Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am

Hay All,

First off hay found your page on facebook and it got me thinking.

I used to be a collector/player a few years ago was a space wolf player for 40k and Elf in Fantasy, but that was under the old rules for both games Smile

I'm trying to workout what's the best 40k army to start back with, could you guys give me any advice? heres my thinking so far.

Tau - excelent firepower low close combat
    Eldar - Balanced but can be fragile
    Tyranids - ZERG!

Also what points do you run too? 1500 or 2000

Cheers

Vangeleon
    Vangeleon

Old 40k player coming back Empty Re: Old 40k player coming back

Post by Vangeleon Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 pm

tau wait for new release which is soon, we could always use more nids players, eldar always fun and challengign but hard to use right.
    Wiggy
    Guardsman

Post by Wiggy Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Cool, Thanks for that i'll hold off on the Tau until then, but as a Zerg player Nid's defiantly appeal to me.
    Rakoo
    Rakoo
    Admin

Post by Rakoo Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Eldars coming soon as well (this year).

We play mostly 1750 pts and 2000 pts.
    Animus33
    Animus33

Post by Animus33 Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Have a look a Necrons i think its the army with the best codex at the moment
    Damkat
    Damkat
    Admin

Post by Damkat Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Welcome to the forums Wiggy.

I would choose an army based on

1) General Play style of the army
    2) Models in the range
    3) Fluff

Tyranids fit really well into the Zerg category and if yoou enjoy them you will defintly enjoy nids.

If you want to go for the best army, there are a few that meet that.

1) Necrons- incredibly versatile, with the potential of making some very powerful lists. Models 7/10 (IMO)

2) Tyranids- Either go for a totally swarm list with hundreds of models or go for the monster ffest of T6 W6 (around 6 of these). Some armies cannot compete against this.
    Models 7.5/10 (IMO)

3) Grey Knights- pointswise verry expensive, BUT you get a lot of wallop per point. Some sick combos can be made. Models 6/10 (IMO)

4) space wolves- great at shooting/ psyhers and CC monsters, some powerful lists.
    Models 6.5/10 (IMO)

5) Eldar/Dark eldar: both extremely fast armies (DE slightly faster). Both Fragile (DE more so). Both really hard to play with. DE a glass cannon. Models eldar: 6/10 (IMO) DE: 9/10 (IMO).

My 2 cents Smile
    Damkat
    Damkat
    Admin

Post by Damkat Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh and how could i forget:

Imperial Guard: gunlines they can create is beastly. Their tanks are really good. The right list can seriously be a problem. Models: 5/10 (IMO)

This edition allows for allies aswell. Tyranids cant ally with anyone though!
    Anarkhia
    Anarkhia
    Admin

Post by Anarkhia Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

Tau will be getting a new codex in the next few months. You can obviously still buy them, but don't start buying/building what currently works in this edition of the codex, because GW tends to turn things on its head (what works before, doesn't now. What didn't work, now works. Although it tends to, it's not always might i add).

Eldar will be getting a new codex at the end of the year. They can be very strong and versatile, but are incredibly hard to use well. Although, they can usually be brought down by spammy lists that other armies can make, which the eldar usually can't do as good as others.

Tyranids can be very strong if you know the right models to use, and if you use cover properly. Again, they are on the rumour train for a new codex but i would realistically guess that we won't be seeing one until 2 years time. Tyranids can be quite tricky to use (besides some peoples comments here on them being point and click, which they are definitely not haha), a fast/mobile opponent can be a big struggle.

On the plus side of each army, Tau are great at shooting and with the new codex might be a bit more mobile than are played now. Eldar dominate the psychic side of a game and can have a unit to counter virtually any other unit. Tyranids can give the largest headache to your opponent by just overwhelming them.
    Wiggy
    Guardsman

Post by Wiggy Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks guys, and for the welcome,

When I last collected Tau and Necrons where not even out, and space wolves if you went by the letter of the Codex and not spirit of the game where just Cheating! though from what I've seen Necrons since release have been a little over powered but not un-beatable.

I've always liked the look of the Tyranids, they just have a aura about them on the table that says humm. But Imp guard have also been a draw because of the tanks and as you say the gun lines, they have always been able to lay down massive (inaccurate) gun fire, and there is a little part of me that like the idea of rolling loads of "to hit" dice per round Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm